Unbricking a GP2X using JTAG
Excerpt taken from geocities.com/joshuabissot
You will need :
- A JTAG/EXT adapter, breakout box or cradle, and a power supply unit.
- A db 25 pin 'straight through' cable - like an old printer cable, but make sure that all the pins are included.
- Note:You can get one from Staples for ~$9
- The gp2x restore software (for Windows XP only, at the moment) (If you want to do this with linux, openocd is your friend and this howto will help --Ovalenti 14:05, 18 August 2007 (PDT))
- Your replacement firmware, from gp2x.co.kr or the archive. It is recommended to start with FWv2.0.0 and then to upgrade to a 2.*.* version of your choice.
- Copy the firmware to the root of a sd card and insert the card into the gp2x.
- Hook the JTAG up to your db25 cable. Power on the gp2x and insert it quickly into the cradle.
- Execute the 'run me' bat file.
- After about 2 minutes the software should report as complete. Remove the unit from the cradle, power it down, and take a 3 minute break, leaving the unit powered down.
- After 3 minutes have passed re-power on the unit with start and select depressed and you should see the firmware updating screen.
- When everything is finished you will see the default menu screen.
- Now turn off your gp2x and remove the SD card, reboot the unit and you should have a working gp2x.